Smart Blocks Launched - Join now!
Released: 03 June, 2013
Smart Blocks was developed in partnership between Strata Community Australia, City of Sydney, City of Melbourne, Owners Corporation Network of Australia and Green Strata.The two year program received funding from the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism under the Energy Efficiency Information Grants Program.
The aim of Smart Blocks is to address the knowledge, financial and governance barriers to the uptake of energy efficiency upgrades within apartment buildings. Join the 70 buildings who have already signed up for the program since its official launch at the National Strata Community Australia conference in Perth at the beginning of June, 2013.
Online toolkit Resources
The www.smartblocks.com.au free online resource kit offers the following downloadable templates:
- Statement of intent - to take to Owners Corporation for support
- Self audit guide - to understand current energy usage breakdown
- Quote request - to go to market and be confident of having comparable proposals
- Payback calculator - user inputs electricity and gas consumption & time of use rates and any eligible financial rebates to produce a return on investment ROI
- Case study - to be able to report your story for others to share
Chamaeleon and Smart Blocks
Both the June 12 Sydney launch host venue, Building 10 at the University of Technology Sydney and the case study presenter, Allan Hoy of Hyde Park Towers have successfully completed Chamaeleon LED lighting retrofits in the fire stairs. See Case Studies for the project details & results.We will also be encouraging our strata end customers and electrical contractors who have installed Chamaeleon lights to document the success stories via the Smart Blocks case study showcase.
Why Smart Blocks?
On average, residents of high-rise buildings use 25 per cent more energy per person than those living in detached dwellings.Up to half of this energy use comes from common property (e.g. pools, car parks, hallway lights).
For further information on SmartBlocks training sessions in other areas see the calendar of events