Event report: Strategies in Light 2014 25-7 Feb, Santa Clara, US
The 3 day conference featured market, technology & luminaire design & manufacturing track streams. Enlighten Australia's Steve Cahill attended the 15th anniversary lighting conference & expo and shares with us his key observations from the conference presentations and discussions with presenters, delegates and exhibitors.
- LED luminaire performance measurements are currently centred around lumens/Watt & $/lumen. As customers become more knowledgeable about lighting & its impacts, there will be a move to more qualitative metrics such as Colour Rendering Index (CRI), colour changing and control;
- The ability of LED lighting to simulate natural daylight & align with the body's circadian rhythms continues to grow in importance. Research is ongoing re impacts of lighting for health & productivity improvements in workplace, education & health sectors;
- Radio frequency (RF) controls are being chosen as the preferred intelligent lighting control technology
- Outdoor and industrial lighting represent key areas for growth, especially when interfaced with RF controls
Suggested future directions of the lighting industry
- Lighting will become the backbone of a communication network including transfer of data via Visible Light Communication (VLC)
- Companies are looking to establish a platform, of which lighting will be a component. It will be delivered via IT networks -Power over Ethernet (POE) instead of the traditional electricity network;
- Multiple sensors will be incorporated into light fixtures to both operate the lights and provide occupancy data for use by third parties.
This story was featured in one of our quarterly "enLighten Me" newsletters… Go to Newsletter