Event report: Strategies in Light 2014 25-7 Feb, Santa Clara, US
Released: 01 March, 2014
The 3 day conference featured market, technology & luminaire design & manufacturing track streams. Enlighten Australia's Steve Cahill attended the 15th anniversary lighting conference & expo and shares with us his key observations from the conference presentations and discussions with presenters, delegates and exhibitors.
- LED luminaire performance measurements are currently centred around lumens/Watt & $/lumen. As customers become more knowledgeable about lighting & its impacts, there will be a move to more qualitative metrics such as Colour Rendering Index (CRI), colour changing and control;
- The ability of LED lighting to simulate natural daylight & align with the body's circadian rhythms continues to grow in importance. Research is ongoing re impacts of lighting for health & productivity improvements in workplace, education & health sectors;
- Radio frequency (RF) controls are being chosen as the preferred intelligent lighting control technology
- Outdoor and industrial lighting represent key areas for growth, especially when interfaced with RF controls
Suggested future directions of the lighting industry
- Lighting will become the backbone of a communication network including transfer of data via Visible Light Communication (VLC)
- Companies are looking to establish a platform, of which lighting will be a component. It will be delivered via IT networks -Power over Ethernet (POE) instead of the traditional electricity network;
- Multiple sensors will be incorporated into light fixtures to both operate the lights and provide occupancy data for use by third parties.